Serving the animals of Mazatlán since 1996

Thursday, April 24, 2014

Meet Volunteer and Amigos President - Billie Losciale



Hi - my name is Billie Losciale. I have lived in Mazatlan for 8 years. Prior to that I lived in Inverness, Florida.

I have an extensive background in animal care related work. In my 20's I worked at a boarding kennel, learning from the bottom up. From there I was hired by a veterinarian Clinic in Atlanta, GA. to work in their kennels. Later they offered me a position as a Vet Tech and volunteered to train me. For the next 10 years I was employed at various veterinarian hospitals throughout Georgia and Florida. Later I managed the Humane Society of Myrtle Beach, SC. After moving to Inverness, FL I was hired and trained by the Citrus County Animal Control Center as an Animal Control Officer (ACO). During this same period I started a pet sitting business called Critter Care Pet Sitters which I managed for the next 16 years. I sold the business just prior to moving to Mazatlan.

Soon after moving to Mazatlan I discovered Amigos de los Animales (ADLA) via a social function at the home of Nadine and Henry Laxen, the original founders of ADLA. It was there that I became intrigued with the organization and after one visit to the shelter I was hooked! Immediately I started volunteering in any capacity that was needed including dog walking, playing with the cats, bathing animals - whatever and wherever I was needed.

Over the next few years I became Vice President and later President. A position that I have held for the last 5 years. During my tenure we have made many improvements and created a welcome environment for our homeless and abandoned guests waiting for their "Forever Homes".

As an informational note: If you are interested in becoming a member (with voting rights) of ADLA the cost is only 1,200 pesos per year - less than $10 U.S. Dollars a month.

If you would like to volunteer at the shelter please contact us at 669-986-4235 to see what you can do to become a part of our team. Only three hours a week of your time can make a world of difference to our guests. With summer fast approaching we are already in need of additional volunteers to fill the void while others have headed north.

If you have never been to our shelter, please take the time to visit and experience our world of kind and loving animals. See for yourself what makes ADLA so special. You won't be disappointed

No comments:

Post a Comment