Serving the animals of Mazatlán since 1996

Friday, May 9, 2014

Meet Gerardo - Amigos new President!

Gerardo Boccara, RVT, AaS, VDT (ASVDT)

My love and advocacy for companion animals came at an early age (10yo) as my Mother bred and showed Champion German Shepherds.  With that came very costly Veterinary care, and my Mother thought it was good training for her sons to learn the value of an honest day’s work by defraying those costs as kennel attendants at the Veterinary hospital – I was hooked!

For the next 9 years, I was forced to make a difficult choice between my love for animals, my extensive Ballet training, the Family business (restaurants), and my studies.  Unfortunately, my Family made the decision for me to concentrate on my studies, and to learn the Family business from the ground up.  By the time I was 16, I decided to take reigns.  So, I left home, graduated High School, continued my blossoming dance career, and eventually ended up moving to New York with hopes of joining Alvin Ailey Dance Theatre.  While there, I was scouted for a Modern Dance company that was moving to Paris, France and I was on my way to incredible things.  I not only worked as a principal dancer for the company, but also worked as a choreographer for the Lido, The Folles Bergere, Moulin Rouge, and the Paradis Latin.  Even though I was able to travel through most of Europe doing what I loved in my heart, something was missing. So, I came back to the US after 2 ½ years with a pocket full of money and purchased one of the Family restaurants by 20yo in addition to continuing my education.  In my off time, I volunteered at multiple Animal Hospitals in the San Francisco Bay Area – again, I was hooked!
 Within the last 29+ years, I’ve obtained a vast knowledge base with regard to Animal Health because I possess current and valid National and California Registered Veterinary Technician’s licenses. I also possess a degree in Animal Science and special certifications in the areas of Veterinary Internal Medicine, Oncology, Emergency and Critical Care, and Dentistry.

My proudest achievement in the field of Animal health was becoming the Program Director of the Veterinary Technology Program at Western Career College (now DeVry) in San Jose, California for 6 years.  In this appointment, I was responsible for the management and education of 300+ person student body and department.  I managed a staff of 6 (3 instructors, 2 lab assistants, and a Veterinarian), and in addition to instruction, I was responsible for supervising the care of the 10 resident animals according to IACUC regulations.  I was the Chairperson for the Advisory Committee, and was responsible for the communication and compliance with all AVMA, CVTEA, VMB, and OSHA regulations.  I also analyzed, researched, and updated the curriculum according to industry standards and was responsible for adjusting the chronological format of the curriculum delivery to ensure that the student body was able to conceptualize the fundamentals and practical applications of Veterinary Technology in addition to memorization.  I monitored student academic progress and applied disciplinary action or awarded student achievement accordingly.  Another important aspect of my duties included the mitigation and maintenance of program spending and cost to ensure that we stayed within the fiscal and recurring budgets.  I developed and implemented a rescue and adoption program at this site for unwanted and special needs patients.  I also motivated students to develop a fund-raising program (grooming and vaccine clinics) to care for the needs of these temporary residents.

I come to ADLA as a retired and fulfilled Man after almost 30 years in the field of Animal Health.  I bring with me many experiences and a multitude of knowledge.  All I’ve really ever wanted was to quietly make a big difference in the lives of those that have no choice and no voice. 


   

No comments:

Post a Comment