Serving the animals of Mazatlán since 1996

Thursday, May 1, 2014

Meet Volunteer - Alma Zepeda



Hello! My name is Alma Zepeda. I have been involved with Amigos de los Animales for 15 years.

I can recall on June 1, 2006 when we had our second "Grand Opening" of the Shelter. At that time Jo Ann Scott Wilson was the President and I became responsible for Public Relations. Today I still work to create good public relations using our Spanish Facebook page which has had over the years approximately 33,000 "Likes" and followers. We have followers from such faraway places as Uruguay, Peru, Costa Rica, Honduras, Guatemala, Brazil, Ecuador, Belize, Spain, Portugal, Japan, The Philipines and, of course, The United States and Canada.

During the early years our team of volunteers and staff created the first "Perroton" and Taquiza Piscinada which did much to bring our organization to the public's attention. I was joined at that time by Edgar Barragan and later, Juan Jaime Verdayes in organizing these events and gathering prizes for winners of various animal related contests that we invented.

From the beginning I have been active in many Shelter related functions such as cleaning cages, bathing dogs, organizing events and using the press, radio, television and other outlets to get the word out on our activities. Today we are well known through-out North and Latin America because of those efforts.

At present I am still responsible for maintaining our Spanish Facebook page. I enjoy doing that because it keeps me active in the organization. Over the years names and faces change but always, we have had good "teams" working together for the welfare of Mazatlan's homeless animals. Being a part of those teams has been very satisfying to me.

Today the Shelter is better than ever! As with most organizations, many changes have occurred at the Shelter over the past 15 years, all for the better, and I am proud to still be an active participant. Being one of the earliest "hands on" supporters of the Shelter is a great source of pride to me.

I try to give my best to the Shelter as a volunteer and look forward to continuing that work in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment